emPOWER is built using an interchangeable database architecture that allows the system to use either a Microsoft Jet Database (the same database that is behind Microsoft Access) or a Microsoft SQL Server Database. The SQL Server version of emPOWER is exactly the same as the Access version of emPOWER, except it utilises the scalable Microsoft SQL Server database that offers a number of key benefits for larger users of emPOWER. These are:
- 24/7 Operation - SQL Server Databases are designed to be operational 24/7 with built-in backup utilities that allow the database to be backed up while it is still "on-line".
- Reduced network traffic - the SQL Server is a "Client/ Server application" meaning all database processing is undertaken on the Server and does not rely on data being sent from the server to the PC for processing and then back again.
- Robustness - a SQL Server database is considered to be more robust and reliable than a Jet Database and is less prone to corruptions and locking issues when a PC crashes.
- Scalable - if you are planning for significant growth SQL Server can grow with your company with ease and less restriction.
- Security - There are greater levels of security, that utilise operating system level features rather than just application level security.
Here are our guidelines for when you should consider upgrading from Access (Jet) to SQL Server:
- The size of the Access mdb file is greater than 100MB.
- OR Number of active users (those users updating the database) is greater than 5.
- OR Number of total users is greater than 20.
- OR Reliability, Scalability, Security and Availability (eg for backups) are of concern.
For more information download the SQL Server Add-On Notes.